Latest Blog Entry
Athletic Development Coach – New Course
Athletic Development Coach
Helping sports coaches get their players fitter, faster and stronger at their clubs.
Is the ‘Athletic Development Coach’ course for me?
- If you are a busy sports coach and want to help get your team fitter, then yes.
- If you have a limited amount of time with your players each week and want to use that time optimally, then yes.
- If your players are struggling to cope with the physical demands of your sport, maybe getting non-contact injuries, then yes.
- If you think that strength and conditioning means more than just lifting weights, then yes.
Course pre requisite: Every candidate must be at least 16 years old and hold a Level 1 Coaching Certificate in their relevant sport (or assistant coach in athletics). There are no exceptions to these requirements.
What will I learn?
Course Goals and Objectives
Candidates will be expected to achieve a basic level of understanding of the importance of athletic development and how it enhances sport specific practice. The candidates will be able to effectively implement the skills learnt on their return to their own clubs. This foundation course prepares the candidates for further CPD modules on more specific aspects of athletic development.
- Gain a basic understanding of athletic development.
- Understand structural integrity and how it underpins athletic performance.
- Learn new movements and how to apply them in warm ups to help prepare your athletes.
- Improve your coaching eye and make necessary adjustments to your plan.
How will my learning programme be structured?
The learning programme will include the following phases:
- Online learning : Four 30 minute modules containing small tasks such as watching a video, reading an article or blog post. Designed to fit around around your busy lifestyle, you can complete the tasks in one sitting, or in stages.
- Coaching practical: A day of learning new movements and how to apply them at your club. This will include planning, doing and reviewing micro-practice sessions. You will get a chance to practise, share ideas and get feedback. All of which are designed to help you implement the ideas immediately on returning to your club.
- Certificate: After the coaching practical you will have the opportunity to answer a short quiz to check your understanding. When successful, you will receive a certificate of learning.
How can I progress?
This course is the Foundation. On completion you will then gain access to the Excelsior Continuing Professional Development (CPD) community. You will then be able to host our 3 hour CPD modules on:
- Dry land Training (Swim fitness)
- Strength Foundation
- Golf fitness.
These are designed to bolt onto the foundation course and be delivered at your club. Rather than having one “specialist” strength and conditioning coach, your club can improve the level of coaching for everyone.
A course can be held close to you but we need a minimum of 10 candidates. We can help with the advertising but would need to confirm a suitable venue.
Cost: £100 per candidate including online learning and a one day course to practice coaching techniques.
If you would like to host a course at your club or school, please enquire here.
If you wish to book on an existing course, please go to that page.
James has been our lead strength and conditioning coach for the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) at the University of Exeter since the scheme's inception. His attitude, professionalism and above all his drive and desire to help each sportsman and woman develop and reach their potential is exactly what we require. James shows a real interest in each of his athletes and helps them to aspire to be as good as they can and ensures that no goals are unattainable.
14 Oct 2018
Athletic Development Coach – Horsham
Venue: Christ’s Hospital, Horsham. RH13 0LA
Cost: £100 including materials and access to online resources. here.