Latest Blog Entry
July 13, 2018
Sport Science: Servant or Master? Last month I attended Vern Gambetta’s GAIN conference in Houston, Texas. A great mix of practical sessions, seminars and informal idea sharing, it is my annual chance to take time out and immerse myself in learning. I shall be sharing some of the ideas and insights learnt this year. The […]
Dumbbells or Machines? Istvan Javorek
The benefits of dumbbell training by Istvan Javorek
- Dumbbell training is generally safe.
- Does not need a large practice area.
- Is easy to teach (compared to barbell lifts).
- Can be done simultaneously and very efficiently with a large number of athletes.
- Is dynamic with a large range of motion (actually the range of motion is unlimited).
- A large range of exercise variations.
- Stimulates (very important in so many sports) the balance mechanisms powerfully (which much machine training does not adequately do)
- Enables one to develop unlimited muscular power, cardiovascular and muscular endurance, flexibility and strength (most machine training develops muscles but not dynamic explosive strength).
- Is inexpensive to equip a gym with several sets of DBs.
- Can be very easily monitored with a 100 percent accuracy, because we have an exact number of repetitions, sets, volumes and rhythm of exercising.
- Enables one to efficiently monitor the heart rate before and after each set, thus providing a very clear view of recovery time and the physical fitness level of the individual athlete.
- DB exercise variations are unlimited and any experienced coach should be able to figure out many novel variations of DB exercises.
London Welsh RFC
James has provided a wealth of experience and expertise to the Academy set up at London Welsh RFC in recent years. He has addressed both the physical and mental development of the players through innovative, player and position specific programmes which have resulted in each individual within the group developing towards their potential.
Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Course – Horsham ** NEW DATE **
13 Oct 2018
13 Oct 2018
Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Course – Horsham
Venue: Christ’s Hospital, Horsham. RH13 0LA
Assessment Day: Sunday 25 November 2018
Cost: £280 including materials and access to online resources. To book send a deposit of £100 here.