Latest Blog Entry
March 13, 2019
Excelsior AD Club newsletter March 2019 We have had so much happen in the last month, and exciting things happening in the run up to Easter, it is best to keep them all in one place. So here you go. 6 members complete their Athletic Development Coaching Course Archie, Daisy, Flora, Jakin, Rebecca and Stephanie […]
Dumbbells or Machines? Istvan Javorek
The benefits of dumbbell training by Istvan Javorek
- Dumbbell training is generally safe.
- Does not need a large practice area.
- Is easy to teach (compared to barbell lifts).
- Can be done simultaneously and very efficiently with a large number of athletes.
- Is dynamic with a large range of motion (actually the range of motion is unlimited).
- A large range of exercise variations.
- Stimulates (very important in so many sports) the balance mechanisms powerfully (which much machine training does not adequately do)
- Enables one to develop unlimited muscular power, cardiovascular and muscular endurance, flexibility and strength (most machine training develops muscles but not dynamic explosive strength).
- Is inexpensive to equip a gym with several sets of DBs.
- Can be very easily monitored with a 100 percent accuracy, because we have an exact number of repetitions, sets, volumes and rhythm of exercising.
- Enables one to efficiently monitor the heart rate before and after each set, thus providing a very clear view of recovery time and the physical fitness level of the individual athlete.
- DB exercise variations are unlimited and any experienced coach should be able to figure out many novel variations of DB exercises.
James has been my strength and conditioning coach since June 2009 and during this time he has provided me with constant support and helped me develop as an athlete, from Under 17 international level to senior international. He is currently helping me with my transition from fencer to Modern Pentathlete.
Sports Performance Workshop: Willand
10 Apr 2019
10 Apr 2019
Sporting success starts here
- Are you a sporting teenager who wants to get better?
- Do you play more than 1 sport?
- Do you want specific advice on how you can prepare for the matches ahead?
- Do you want to know how to balance school/ club sporting commitments?
- This day is for you.
The Day will include: